Savage Worlds: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Character Creation Guidelines
- Choose a race (Ogres and Orcs are not playable options).
- Your hero starts with a d4 in each attribute, and has 5 points with which to raise them. Unless otherwise stated, raising an attribute up a die type costs 1 point.
- Next, you have 15 points for skills. Each die type in a skill costs 1 point up to the linked attribute (e.g., Strength for Athletics). Going over the linked attribute costs 2 points per level.
- Derived Stats
- Charisma = the total bonuses or penalties given by Edges and Hindrances.
- Pace = 6" unless modified by hindrances or edges.
- Parry = 2 + half your Fighting skill (2 if a character does not have points in the skill), plus any bonuses from shields or certain weapons.
- Toughness = 2 + half your Vigor attribute. Add the bonus granted by the armor worn on your torso to this value as well for speed’s sake, but remember it may not count if attacks target other parts of the body.
- Edges and Hindrances help define your strengths, weaknesses, and unique characteristics. Though Hindrances are normally optional, you must take at least one (Major or Minor) to help flesh out your character.
- You gain additional points for taking up to one Major Hindrance (2 points) and two Minor Hindrances (1 point each), in other words you can gain up to four points to spend on bonuses detailed below.
- You may take as many Hindrances as you wish, but you do not gain anymore points if you choose to take more Hindrances then the guidelines above state.
- For clarification on what is and isn’t allowed in this campaign refer to this page.
|2||Gain an Edge (must meet prerequisites)|
|2||Raise an Attribute|
|1||Gain one extra Skill point|
|1||Double your starting gold (500g instead of 250g)|
Start with 250 gold to spend on starting equipment.
If you are having trouble coming up with a background or simply want to add more detail to it, visit this website. The site will lead you to a very long and detailed questionnaire where you can cherry pick questions that may help you flesh out your background.
If your character meets an untimely demise during the course of the game, utilize the character creation rules above. However the drawback is your new character begins play with 1 less advance. Stay safe.